In this article, we are going to study the advantages and disadvantages of using your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for hosting your website.
ISPs take several forms and offer different services. They generally charge their customers for Internet access depending on their usage needs and the level of service provided.
ISP’s can provide different hosting plans based on web hosting types as follows:
- Shared Hosting
- Reseller Hosting
- VPS (Virtual Private Server)
- Dedicated Server
- Cloud Hosting
Please check Introduction to Web Hosting article to get more details about all these hosting types.
Advantages of using ISP as Hosting Provider :
- No need to pay extra to have your own server.
- Most of the ISP’s provide the fastest available Internet Access.
- ISP’s should give the best uptime guarantee.
- ISP’s servers must have a secure environment, virus protection and security patches applied to protect your website.
Disadvantages of using ISP as Hosting Provider :
- If your ISP is hosting many sites on a shared server, this will affect your site performance.
- If your ISP gets blacklisted by various spam detector sites for hosting adult contents or sending spam emails this will directly affect your site as well as emails i.e if your server IP is blacklisted your emails will be considered as spam emails at the recipient end.
- You need to trust your ISP for uptime and security.
Your hosting choice will not only affect your budget, but it will also affect every user’s experience with the website. When you choose the correct hosting provider, your site will be secure, more reliable, load faster and look great.
You can refer Host your site with ISP article for the factors to be considered while hosting your site with your ISP. Cogent Communications is one of the best ISP (as well as hosting provider) across the world which gives the higher performance in low price.
Hope this article will guide you to choose a good hosting provider for your site as per site requirements.